Sunday, November 09, 2014

CLUB SANDWICHES ARE FROM HEAVEN

It's true.  They really are.

 photo Club.jpg

I hadn't thought of making Club Sandwiches for many years when just recently while visiting my sister (to see my most beautiful 9-month-old great niece!).

She was making home made chicken noodle soup and club sandwiches.  We weren't visiting for dinner but she offered some to us anyway.  We weren't starving so Tim and I shared one.

It was so good I'd wished we weren't sharing.  I could have downed the entire sandwich alone.

She takes the first piece of toast and puts a very light layer of mayo followed by a generous layer of spinach leaves.  Then she layers on slices of meat.  She uses just whatever she has on hand (pictured above is Chipolte Chicken - YUM!).  Follow this with your favorite cheese.

Now comes the magical part.  Take another piece of toast and put a thin layer of mayo on it.  Now place this mayo-side down on top of the cheese and mayo the top side of the toast (in an episode of Friends, Ross referred to this as the moist maker)

Top this with some crispy bacon.

 photo Bacon.jpg

Now I know what you're thinking.  Bacon's not good for you.  I disagree.  Happy people are healthy and bacon makes me happy so therefore bacon is good for me.
Whew!  That was a mouthful.

Notice the bacon above.  That's not bacon grease gleaming at you in the picture.  It's bacon juice!  I think it smiled for the camera.

Anyway, back to the Club.  Place a few pieces of thinly-sliced tomato on top of the bacon and close the deal with the last piece of thinly mayo'd toast.  (I know mayo'd is not a word but it gets my point across).

It was an amazing Club Sandwich.

So today after church that's what I made for lunch.  The pictures above are from today's lunch.  Sadly, the tomato slices didn't make it to today's performance.  It's just now their season.  The sandwich was still amazing.

Thank you, dear sister, for reminding me of this lovely creature of a sandwich.

If only there was a way to remind myself of such ideas.  But wait!  There is.

Stayed tuned for more information on this (and go have a Club!)

No comments: