Wednesday, February 17, 2010

SIMPLE CURIOSITY...

On my way home from work today, I got stuck in some slow traffic.

It happens in the same places every day.

But today, at one of the spots, there was a cardboard box sitting on the side of the road.

I stared at it for a few moments.

It didn't have any markings on it.

Just a plain box.

I wondered what was in it.

There could be something of real value inside that box. It could have fallen off of someone's moving truck and had expensive jewelry inside.

It could have money inside (I don't know why money would be inside of it but just go with it).

I thought of pulling over and opening the box.

Admit it, you've seen a box on the side of the road and had the same thoughts.

Then I thought of what else could be inside that box and my mind shuddered.

It could be nasty. Something gross.

My overactive imagination ran through several scenarios of gross things that could be inside that box.

The thought of something grotesque won out over the thought of me becoming a thousand-aire (I say thousand because I doubt the box was big enough to hold a million dollars) and I drove away.

No comments: