Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Isn't it amazing what our kids have today that we didn't have when we were their age?

I was 10 when we got our first microwave. We used it to heat water. Microwave popcorn wasn't even available yet.

For Christmas when I was 11, I got a black and white television. It had 2 dials on it. The top dial was for channels 4, 5, 9 and U. When it was on U, the bottom dial would change and pick up 19 and 41.

A few years later, channel 62 was added. That was huge!

Today, my children each have their own tvs...with cable.

The Teenager has his own computer.

My first computer was a Commodore 64. That's 64K! That's big enough to hold maybe one document. Not even an entire song. Do, Ra, Mi, Fa, and So. La, Ti, and Do are just screwed.

Their spoiled. I tell them stories of what it was like when I was a kid.

I associate these stories with the ones I was told by my parents when I was a kid.

We didn't have school buses. We had to walk to school. In the snow. With no shoes. Up hill both ways.

1 comment:

A Big Ball of Stress said...

LOL Love it! yeah I got the whole uphill in the snow story often. One thing I like to think about was...before remotes...my dad would sit in his recliner, and flick his finger everytime he wanted to change the channel. It wasn't bad when it was just the few channels but it really sucked when we got cable for the first time and the cable box was a dial. Ummm...something like 32 channels. UGH