Monday, May 16, 2011

SAVORY MEATLOAF

Meatloaf. It's one of my favorite meals. It's the first meal I ever cooked for my husband. I made him meatloaf with mashed potatoes and peas. You do know they say they way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Really! It's true.

You will need: 2 lbs Ground Chuck, 1 egg, 1 small can of tomato sauce, 1 sleeve of saltine crackers, 1/2 green bell pepper and 1/2 onion.

Begin by putting your ground meat into a large mixing bowl. Use a large one because this gets a bit messy. Crack and add your egg.



In your food processor, blend your onion. You can rough chop it also but I prefer to blend it as much as possible to slip the onion by the kids.

Do the same with the green bell pepper.

Get some help if you need to. It's hard work so extra help is always appreciated.

Add the onion and green bell pepper to your bowl. At this point, if your wanting to slip some extra veggies in on the kids, you can do the same with other vegetables. I've added carrots, squash, zucchini and radishes and sneaked it past the kids. What they don't know won't hurt them.

Your little helper can also crush your crackers up for you if you put them into a zip lock bag. Then add them to your bowl.


I'd like to suggest at this time to remove your jewelry. There's almost nothing worse than cleaning meat out of your rings later on.

Go ahead, now. Get your hands in there and mix it all up really well. Don't be afraid. The meat's already dead. It won't bite.

Place the meat into your baking dish and shape it as evenly as you can. I'm using a rectangle dish so I shaped mine the same shape as the dish, same thickness all over for even cooking.

Now at this point, you can bake it as is but I prefer to take it a step further for extra flavor.

I opened a small can of tomato sauce and poured it over the top.

Place the meatloaf in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

I'm not baking mine tonight. I made this tonight for a pot luck dinner at the school tomorrow night so it's resting comfortably in the fridge until it's time to bake tomorrow.

Stay tuned for a picture of the finished product!

No comments: