Thursday, October 02, 2008

Chicken again?...

Several friends of mine are struggling. They're struggling with being able to afford their bills, groceries, etc with the current economy. I really wish I could help them out but things are tight for us, too.

So I'm sharing an idea that I use all the time. Yesterday, I put a chicken in my roaster. It was just an average size whole chicken that I got on sale at the grocery store. When I find these sorts of things on sale, I normally buy several. So I roasted this chicken and we had it along with noodles and peas. I got lucky with this chicken because it was a very meaty one. I cleaned the leftover chicken off the bones and, lucky me, got enough for 2 more nights worth of dinner.

The first half of the leftover I will shred and cook with a can of tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. This I'll spread over a flour tortilla, top with cheese, another tortilla, and grill it in a skillet. Presto! Easy quesadillas.

The rest of the chicken, I'll shred, add some diced boiled egg, diced pickles, and mayo for a simple chicken salad.

If anyone wants more specifics on these recipes, just holler. Even better, share your frugal ideas by commenting.

We could all use some help in this day and age.

No comments: