Thursday, October 23, 2008

TRYING TO BE BETTER PEOPLE...

Yes, I'm making an effort to make myself and my family better people (whether they like it or not). We're not awful people but I know we do have some flaws. We have room for improvement.

One thing I do want to improve upon is being thankful for what we have. We're by far not rich people financially but we are rich in other areas, such as friends, family, etc. I want to begin our journey to greatness (a long trip, I know) by saying grace before our meals. We need to thank the higher power, God in our case, for the wonderful things we've been given, especially in these trying times. I just wasn't sure how to go about doing it.

When I was a kid, we always said the "God is great, God is good. Let us thank Him for this food. Amen." This would be an easy one but ever since I became a smart-aleck teenager (is that where The Teenager gets it from?), all I can think of with that prayer is that good and food do not rhyme. In my head, food is pronounced with the same "oo" sound as good. It doesn't work for me.

My favorite prayer was one that my husband's step-mother's mom (that's a mouthful!) used to say. Mary was such a lovely woman and had such grace about herself. I adored her and miss her terribly. The only problem is, I couldn't remember it. It's been driving me nuts.

So last weekend, while in Springfield, I sat with my cell phone while no one was looking, and text messaged it to myself. The in-laws have the prayer painted onto their kitchen wall with lovely stencils. Darn, I could kick myself for not taking a picture of it.

So, whether the family likes it or not, our meals will now begin with this:

Lord, we are grateful for these and all the many blessings that come from Thee. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.

Short, simple and sweet. (just like me lol)

1 comment:

Tracey said...

Was that the one you were looking for on the board? My grandfather says that one!!!