Sunday, April 03, 2011

ALL GOOD THINGS MUST END

A big part of where I grew up is getting a major facelift soon. The businesses along Chouteau Trafficway have been closing up the past few weeks to make way for a wider road.

This is Stack's Drive In. I started working there when I was 13 years old. I worked there for 5 years along with many friends and family. At one point, both of my sisters worked there with me.

Stack's is a little burger, fries, and shake place that at one time served the best tenderloins and Italian Steaks around. It was owned by Albert and Lena DiGiovanni. Lena gave me my first job even when I wasn't supposed to be allowed to work since I was only 13. They have both passed away and another family member owns it now.

It is my understanding that they are opening a new location in Independence.

Ahhh, Donut King. This is just across the street from Stack's. They serve the best (I am not exaggerating) donuts around. I crave their long john's filled with whipped topping. They also offer them with Bavarian Cream but I prefer whipped.

They also offer a donut flavor of the month. I've tried key lime donuts, peanut butter donuts, and pumpkin donuts. I haven't found one yet that I didn't like.

Not only are the donuts fantastically delicious but they are affordable too. Less than $10 gets you a dozen of any donut. They don't just limit the dozen to the standard donuts like most places.

They are moving to North Kansas City in the new strip mall that was built a few years ago along 21o highway. I'm so glad because that keeps them still close to home.



I also wanted to include Diamond Joe's. I've never been inside but it's been a big part of that neighborhood since I was a kid. Back when I worked at Stack's it was called The Chouteau Inn. I remember the guys I worked with always wanted to go there to get change for us so they could see the strippers.

I had heard they were going to stay and move the front of the building to the back of the building but it appears they've just closed up.

There's an old church down the street from these that I'll be sad to see go also. I regret that I didn't get a picture of it because it's a classic style old church with the front steps and the classic steeple. It's been a vacant church building for a long time but it's a beautiful building that I'll be sad to see go.

But I look forward to seeing how the area will look when it's all done. That area has been in need of repairs for a long time.

No comments: