Saturday, December 06, 2008

SHAME ON YOU!...

Well, not all of you but some of you.

Yesterday I went to the funeral of my sister's mother-in-law. It wasn't an emotional funeral for me. I knew her but really didn't like her. Yes, you can chastise me for saying such a thing about someone that just passed away but she annoyed the crud out of me (putting it mildly).

First off, she wasn't a good mother to my brother-in-law while he was growing up and never made amends with him about it. The reason she annoyed me the most is that she would never call me by my name. She always called me Jenna. My name is pronounced Jee-nuh. She knew this but still continued to annoy me on purpose.

Anyway, the funeral was nice. It's the procession to the cemetery that got me. For some reason, I can't help but cry when I'm in one or when I see one. I'm not talking about a simple tear or whimper either but a full on blubbering bawl fest. I can't help it. I don't know why they effect me in this way.

But yesterday, I was appalled at the number of people that wouldn't take two minutes out of their lives to pull over and let the procession go by. There was even one car (yes, you in the red Ford Explorer!) that joined in the middle of the line so that he could get to his oh-so-important destination faster.

The purpose of pulling over is to show respect to the deceased and their family. I feel it's the least that I can do to for those people in that procession is pull to the side of the road for a few minutes (and in my case, cry like a baby) and let them pass. I like to say a small prayer for the family that they'll be able to get passed this sad event easily. Sometimes, I feel the Lord's Prayer helps.

So next time you see a funeral procession, pull aside and let them pass. If you feel like it, say a prayer for the family.

But, please, be respectful.

No comments: