Thursday, October 05, 2006

SCARIEST MOMENTS...

I got this idea from another blog but thought it was a good one to share. What's the scariest thing that's ever happened to you in your life?

I've had three so far in my life. Here they are in chronological order, not so much in scariest order.

When I was in my teens, I used to babysit for my sisters a lot (and for free, too! Dummy me). When I was about 16 or 17, I was sitting for my oldest sister while they went to the bar that Mom worked at with my other sister and her husband. The kids were up playing. I think they were 4 and 5 at the time, with the youngest still a baby. I was sitting in the rocking chair in front of the living room window holding the baby. The windows were open since it was a nice, cool evening. I heard a noise on the front porch and when I turned around in the chair, there was a man staring back at me. I screamed and the boys came running. I knew the doors were locked but the window was open with only a screen between us. I grabbed all three kids and headed into the bedroom and locked the door. I called the bar and everyone came rushing home. By the time they arrived, there was no one else around. Evidently, my scream scared him off. To make the night even worse, when I got in the car for my brother-in-law to take me home, the knife that his brother had left on the floor board went into my ankle. It was that cold steel feeling that I will never forget. I ended up with 5 stitches that night.

Another scary moment for me was the night my dad died. We had just had a wonderful dinner with the entire family. We cooked out in the backyard and spent the early evening sitting on the patio swinging on the glider and chatting. Everyone went home (I still lived at home at the time) and I went up the street to my sister's house. When I got home, I walked in to hear Mom screaming. Dad was having a heart attack. I called 911. The rest I don't want to go into detail about because it hurts too bad. You can get the picture.

The last, most recent, scariest moment was the day Little Brother was born. When the doctor put him on my stomach and I saw how grey he was, I knew something wasn't right. We spent the next hours, and days, wondering if our little boy would make it.

I hope those are the only ones I'll ever have but I know once the boys become teenagers, I'll have many more.

No comments: